– AFC Councillor says millers are at faultBy: Indrawattie NatramRice farmers in Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam) are currently in the sowing period for the autumn crop, but even as they are doing so, a majority of rice farmers are still owed millions of dollars.At the statutory Regional Democratic Council (RDC) meeting held on May 10, RDC Councillors from both Opposition and Government debated the issue. Taking the floor first on the matter was seasoned AFC politician, Naithram. He told Councillors he is very disturbed about the manner in which rice farmers are being treated by millers and is concerned about the non-payments.Naithram who is a farmers’ representative and also member of the Guyana Rice Development Board (GRDB), said to his knowledge the fourth shipment of paddy was sent to Panama and explained that even as the shipments are sailing, the millers would have received advance monies to pay rice farmers.He said the question lingers as to why rice farmers are still owed even as government intervenes through the GRDB, ensuring that millers receive money to pay farmers.The AFC Councillor also questioned why is the Rice Producers’ Association (RPA) not following up on such matters. He also asked why the Region’s rice cereal factory has not been put into operation, even though so many persons are unemployed.According to Region Two Chairman Devanand Ramdatt, rice farmers are facing serious challenges within the region and the problem persists where the payments received by millers are not reaching the producers. This he said is a huge deterrent in the industry as well as the region’s struggling economy.PPP/C Councillor, Dr Ranjeev Singh also asked during the discussion why Rice Producers Association (RPA) is not doing meaningful follow-ups. However, RPA representative and also PPP/C Councillor Showkat Ali said the RPA is doing what it can but previously when money was released by GRDB to millers it was written in rice farmers’ names. In that system millers do not have any control over the money and rice farmers were benefiting.Another PPP/C Councillor Arnold Adams wanted to know from Naithram why he is not staging protests over the non-payments, as he did under the PPP/C Government. Under the PPP/C Government Naithram staged several protests against the Region Two administration and the GRDB, stating that they were failing rice farmers.In response, Naithram said he is before the court for protesting and he is presently on a one-year bond to keep the peace.Region Two Chairman Ramdatt assured the council that a letter will be sent to the Agriculture Minister on the matter. He said it is sad that most emails he send to Agriculture Minister Noel Holder are never answered or no replies given to him.
MOST READ Thailand reports case of coronavirus from China He helped the Grizzlies to their first playoff series win in 2011, when the stunned the San Antonio Spurs. They reached the Western Conference finals in 2013.The Grizzlies announced in 2017 that they will retire Randolph’s jersey.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next When Pops met Martin’s son Santino “I gave this game my all, and it gave everything back and more,” the 38-year-old tweeted.One love. 🙏🏿 pic.twitter.com/aZmUTbD2eSFEATURED STORIESSPORTSAndray Blatche has high praise for teammate Kai SottoSPORTSBig differenceSPORTSAlmazan status stays uncertain ahead of Game 4— Zach Randolph (@MacBo50) December 28, 2019 Lava gushes out of Taal Volcano as villagers flee View comments Randolph selected 19th overall by the Portland Trail Blazers in the 2001 NBA draft, ends his career with 18,578 points and 10,208 rebounds.He was a two-time All-Star and was named the NBA’s Most Improved Player after the 2003-04 season.After leaving Portland he played for the New York Knicks, Los Angeles Clippers, Grizzlies and Kings.His parting statement thanked all of those teams for contributing to his “incredible journey.”“Special thank you to the Memphis Grizzlies and the entire city which I will forever call my home,” added Randolph, who teamed with Marc Gasol, Mike Conley and Tony Allen on Memphis teams that became known as some of the toughest in the league.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Leonardo DiCaprio, Taika Waititi, other stars react to Oscar nominations (FILES) In this file photo taken on May 08, 2015 Zach Randolph #50 of the Memphis Grizzlies celebrates after making a basket against the Golden State Warriors during Game three of the Western Conference Semifinals of the 2015 NBA Playoffs at FedExForum in Memphis, Tennessee (Photo by ANDY LYONS / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / AFP)Zach Randolph, who starred on the “grit and grind” Memphis Grizzlies teams that made seven straight NBA playoff appearances from 2011-2017, called time on his 17-year career on Saturday.The big man nicknamed Z-Bo announced his retirement on Twitter the day after scoring eight points in 15 minutes on the floor for the Sacramento Kings in a loss to the Detroit Pistons.ADVERTISEMENT Spurs unleash 18 3-pointers to torch Pistons ‘People evacuated on their own’ SEA Games 2019: Philippines clinches historic gold in women’s basketball PLAY LIST 05:02SEA Games 2019: Philippines clinches historic gold in women’s basketball01:05Poor visibility, nakaapekto sa maraming lugar sa Batangas03:028,000 pulis sa Region 4-A, tuloy ang trabaho03:57Phivolcs, nahihirapan sa komunikasyon sa Taal01:04Sold-out: Stores run out of face masks after Taal spews ash01:45Iran police shoot at those protesting plane shootdown01:54MMDA deploys rescue team to Batangas following Taal eruption No need to wear face masks in Metro Manila, says scientist NFA assures ample rice supply in ashfall, eruption-affected areas Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Microsoft ends free Windows 7 security updates on Tuesday
Having won eight and drawn one of their nine league games since losing to Aston Villa on the season’s opening day, they travel to Manchester knowing that victory would leave them 11 points clear of the champions after 11 matches of the campaign.United striker Wayne Rooney poured scorn on Arsenal’s championship credentials this week, saying that their recent title challenges had “faded away”, but the London club’s midfielder Aaron Ramsey says his side have nothing to fear from the 20-time champions.“Absolutely not. They have had a bit of a rough start, but they have overcome that now I think,” said the Welshman, who took his tally for the season to 11 goals with a headed winner at Dortmund’s Westfalenstadion.“They have had a few good results in the league and will be getting their confidence back up, but we are really confident ourselves. Our away record has been really good, so hopefully we can continue building on that.”United saw a run of four consecutive wins come to an end in a 0-0 draw away to Real Sociedad on Tuesday, but they are seeking to prolong a sequence of eight matches without defeat in all competitions.David Moyes’s side are also determined to improve on a dismal record in matches against their fellow title contenders this season, having taken just one point from previous encounters with Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City.“I don’t think we’ve shown ourselves this season on a consistent basis, not just in the big games,” admitted centre-back Rio Ferdinand, whose side begin the weekend in eighth place.“It is time to start putting our foot on the pedal and motor on. We have to do that if we want to remain in contention to win the league.“Arsenal are in a good vein of form. They are the team to catch. We have to make sure we are right and ready for the challenge.”Chelsea and Liverpool will both expect to eat away at Arsenal’s five-point lead on Saturday, when Jose Mourinho’s side host West Bromwich Albion and the Merseyside club welcome Fulham to Anfield.Mourinho has declared that Eden Hazard will return to his squad after the Belgian attacking midfielder was left out for Chelsea’s 3-0 win over Schalke in mid-week after reportedly missing a training session.Liverpool, meanwhile, can once again call upon England right-back Glen Johnson after he missed the defeat at Arsenal due to an infection in his jaw.“Glen Johnson will be fit,” said manager Brendan Rodgers. “He’s fine. He’s trained this week. It was just one of those peculiar things that happened.”Fresh from reaching the Champions League knockout phase for the first time after a 5-2 win over CSKA Moscow, Manchester City visit Sunderland on Sunday.Manuel Pellegrini’s men climbed to fifth place in the league table after demolishing Norwich City 7-0 last weekend and French midfielder Samir Nasri believes that the 2012 champions are finally clicking into gear.“In two games we have scored 12 goals, so now we focus on Sunderland,” he said.“Since the start of the season we have struggled a little bit away, but now we are starting to show the real face of Manchester City.”Sunderland are five points adrift of safety after losing 1-0 at Hull City in their last outing, but new manager Gus Poyet saw his side set up a League Cup quarter-final against Chelsea with a 2-1 win over high-flying Southampton on Wednesday.Southampton, who had Jay Rodriguez, Adam Lallana and Rickie Lambert called up by England on Thursday, host Hull on Saturday, while fourth-place Tottenham Hotspur are at home to Newcastle United on Sunday.FixturesSaturday (1500GMT unless otherwise stated):Aston Villa v Cardiff City, Chelsea v West Bromwich Albion, Crystal Palace v Everton, Liverpool v Fulham, Norwich City v West Ham United (1730GMT), Southampton v Hull CitySunday (1610GMT unless otherwise stated):Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United (1200), Sunderland v Manchester City (1405), Manchester United v Arsenal, Swansea City v Stoke City0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000LONDON, England, November 8 – Buoyant Premier League pace-setters Arsenal will look to deal a potentially crushing blow to Manchester United’s slow-burning title defence when they visit Old Trafford for a seismic showdown on Sunday.Arsenal’s momentum appeared to be dwindling after they lost consecutive home games to Borussia Dortmund and Chelsea, but they roared back to defeat Liverpool 2-0 in the league last weekend before becoming the first English team to win away to Dortmund in the Champions League on Wednesday.
1 Graziano Pelle Graziano Pelle believes his move to Southampton has helped him grow up and get in the Italy national team.The 29-year-old forward played for his country at youth level but had never made the step up into the senior side.But after scoring four Premier League goals this season, he is now in the Italy side ahead of some big names including Liverpool man Mario Balotelli.“I hadn’t been part of a national side for seven years,” Pelle said. “I was a little confused when I got here and couldn’t find my way to the Coverciano training ground.“I had to take the long way round, but I got here eventually. It’s better late than never.“I’m a positive guy. It is rare that I put the blame on someone else for something that didn’t go well.“If so much time has passed since my last Italy call-up, it means it was entirely my fault. I am now completely mature, both physically and psychologically.”
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The speed limit will be posted at 25 mph and officials are warning motorist to use caution. The road leads to the main entrance of Forest Lawn Cemetery and is the only direct connection between Glendale and the Cahuenga Pass. Thousands of commuters drive it daily. STUDIO CITY- City crews swept out nearly 4,000 tons of mud amassed on a road near Griffith Park during a weekend storm, clearing the street for Monday morning commuters. City crews worked through the day shuttling tons of sludge from a 100-yard stretch of Forest Lawn Drive between Zoo Drive and Barham Blvd. that cascaded down steep hillsides left barren after last May’s Griffith Park fire. The sludge which marooned vehicles Saturday afternoon and seeped into the hallways of a nearby apartment was six feet deep and 30 to 40 feet wide along portions of the road. “There is still going to be a fine layer of silt on the road. It could be a little slippery,” said Cora Jackson-Fossett, spokeswoman for the Los Angeles Department of Public Works.
Arsene Wenger hopes Arsenal will reap the rewards of a “good winter break” for Alexis Sanchez after he scored the winner in their fourth-round FA Cup victory over Burnley on Saturday.Sanchez, making his first start for the Gunners since November 29, set up Calum Chambers for the opening goal of the game before getting on the scoresheet in the second half of a 2-1 success.The Chile international was given a standing ovation by the Arsenal faithful after he was substituted with 11 minutes remaining following an impressive display.And Wenger, who is bidding to win the FA Cup for a record seventh time as a manager, believes the Gunners will benefit from Sanchez’s enforced spell on the sidelines.“He has had a long rest now,” said Wenger of the 27-year-old forward who was an ever-present for Arsenal until he sustained a hamstring injury in their 1-1 draw at Norwich.“It is true that when he got injured you could see signs of fatigue, and two months’ rest is a good winter break.“I was not too worried on the fitness front because I kept him out two weeks ago. He was there physically but we had some worries about his muscle, but he came through well and you could see that physically he is ready.”
Management at Orbit Security have issued a public warning to homeowners in Donegal ahead of the festive season. There has been a large increase in the number of break-ins to both home and business properties at Christmas over the last number of years.Because of this worrying statistic, Orbit Security have appealed to owners to be more vigilant in the run-up to Christmas. Martin Hillferty of Orbit Security told Donegal Daily, “Christmas is a time for joy and excitement, but this is also a prime time for burglars to strike.“With a lot of valuables in your home, please ensure you take the necessary measures to protect your main assets.Staff at Orbit Security have some tips to help you keep the burglar way.Ask someone to keep your footpaths/driveways clear if this is possible if snow may fall. Ensure you have spoken to your neighbours/family to keep a eye on your premises if you are away.Have your lights on a timer if possible.Don’t leave Christmas presents in view from the outside of your home.Secure all doors and windows and use your alarm.Do not keep large amounts of cash in your home. Martin added, “Just as a light or clear path can deter a burglar, safety inside your home is just as important.“Make sure to get your heater checked annually. Always keep a fire extinguisher in an easily accessible place and be careful of ice.“Follow these tips to make sure you stay safe during this Winter season.*House Alarm special – book your house alarm before Dec 31st and get 1 years free monitoring* Have a safe and Happy Christmas and New Year from Pauric, Martin & all the team at Orbit Security.For more information on security products to protect you and your home or business contact us here at Orbit Security www.orbitsecurity.ieORBIT SECURITY ISSUE WARNING FOR HOMEOWNERS TO BE VIGILANT OVER FESTIVE PERIOD was last modified: December 14th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:BusinessnewsNoticesOrbit Security
1 We’re live from White Hart Lane CLICK HERE TO LIVE STREAM TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR V SOUTHAMPTON IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE ON 8 MAY 2016We’re live from White Hart Lane as Spurs face the Saints in Premier League action.Tottenham may no longer be able to win the title, but they can all but claim runners up spot with a win and ensure they finish above great rivals Arsenal for the first time in 21 years.For Southampton the prospect of a Europa League place is still possible.Tune in to talkSPORT and find out what happens!
19-year-old Lookman has scored seven goals for Charlton this season 1 Everton boss Ronald Koeman has admitted the club are ‘working on’ a deal to sign 19-year-old Charlton forward Ademola Lookman.Recent reports have suggested the Toffees are set to pay a fee of £10million for the teenager, and expect to complete the move early in the January transfer window.And, when asked about Lookman at his press conference on Wednesday ahead of Friday’s Premier League away clash with Hull, Koeman said: “There is interest for the boy, yes.”The Dutchman was not prepared to estimate when a deal for Lookman, who has scored seven goals so far this season, might be wrapped up.Everton are also hoping to land targeted Manchester United duo Morgan Schneiderlin and Memphis Depay in the New Year, with the French midfielder linked with a permanent switch to Goodison Park, while the Dutch winger could arrive on loan.When asked about the club’s transfer plans more generally, Koeman added: “It is a busy time because we have a lot of games in a short time and, of course, I’m involved in new players, in making the team stronger.“We are working on that. We have certain interest in some players.”He added with a smile: “Some names are true and some names are not true. That is all speculation.“One time it is possible, but most of the time it is bulls***!”
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! NEW ORLEANS – Bureaucracy and a lack of money are slowing the rebuilding of New Orleans nearly a year after Hurricane Katrina hit, Mayor Ray Nagin said Monday. With the approach of Aug. 29, the one-year anniversary of the storm, the city still is struggling financially, despite billions of dollars in congressional appropriations, he said. “The misperception out there is New Orleans is wallowing in dough and we have money coming out of our ears,” the mayor told The Associated Press. But little of the appropriated money has reached the city, he said. Only a small fraction of the $1 billion requested for essential infrastructure has been approved by federal officials. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhy these photogenic dumplings are popping up in Los AngelesEven President George W. Bush on Monday acknowledged the sluggish pace of aid to Louisiana. At a White House news conference, Bush said the government has committed $110 billion to Katrina relief and the money is taking longer to get to those who deserve it in Louisiana than in Mississippi. Also on Monday, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said he would send additional resources to New Orleans to help fight fraud and a recent rise in violent crime. He said 10 assistant U.S. attorneys will be sent, as will four additional agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and four additional deputy U.S. marshals – all to work alongside local law enforcement agencies. In another announcement Monday, U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Alphonso Jackson said 800 more affordable housing units are ready for tenants in the city’s projects where about 5,100 units were occupied before Katrina. He said 200 more will be ready by Aug. 31, bringing the total reopened to 2,100 units.