Blues look to find their identity in early going

first_img BY TIM MORRISStaff Writer The Brookdale men’s basketball team is young and searching for an identity. Head coach Paul Cisek has loaded up his non-Garden State Athletic Conference and Region XIX schedule so that his team will be prepared to make a run at a Region championship in late February when it’s tournament time. The Blues are off to a solid start with a team that is starting three freshmen. As would be expected from a young team, inconsistency and mistakes have slowed the team down. “We’ve not played as well as we’re capable of,” said Cisek. “We’re very athletic and we have some size. We’re young and we’re making young mistakes. “We have all the pieces, it’s a matter of us jelling,” he added. Cisek pointed to three factors for the slow start: first, turnovers; the team isn’t taking care of the ball well and that can be attributed to three new faces in the starting lineup and early-season injuries. Second, a lack of defensive rebounding. And finally, the team hasn’t gotten an identity yet. One thing the Blues have done well is use their overall athleticism to play strong on the defensive end. “We’re playing pretty good defense,” said Cisek. “I’m a man-to-man defensive guy and we’ve been able use traps out of it and play a little full-court.” The foundation of the 2006-07 Jersey Blues is returning standout Jed Marquez (Jackson). An All-American candidate who was First Team All-Garden State Athletic Conference and All-Region XIX last year, the 6-2 guard does it all at both ends of the floor as a scorer and rebounder. “He’s playing like an All-American,” said Cisek. Derrick Truesdale (Passaic), a 6-3 forward, is the other sophomore in the starting lineup. The Blues look to him for defense and rebounding and an inside presence on offense. Freshman John Guzman (Rutherford) is the starting point guard, and the other members of the freshman class in the starting lineup are forward Chris Brown (Newark Science), who at 6-5 is looked to to clean the glass, and slashing swing player Rashad Stephens (Passaic). “We have good balance with our starting lineup and we have depth,” said Cisek. Mike Doherty (Mater Dei) and Javonn McCluney (Hillside) are freshmen who are contributing and adding depth. Two other newcomers who have contributed to the team’s athleticism are 6-5 Owen McPherson (Franklin) and 6-6 Anthony Dunaway (Freehold Borough). Two returners, Sean Carter (Freehold Borough) a 6-2 forward, and Kevin Fallon (Roselle Park), a 6-1 guard, have been injured and are just returning to the lineup. They had solid freshman seasons, and having them back will help the team jell and come up with an identity. Freshman Thenegard Fils-Aime (Rahway), who can provide a scoring punch and another point guard to the team, has missed time with a broken finger. Rounding out the 2006-07 Jersey Blues are guards Theo Fujita-Lukachyk (Middletown North), Leon Norman (Monmouth Regional) and Devin Parkins (Franklin). Brookdale was picked to finish second behind Passaic in the GSAC North Division this winter. Cisek has set the bar high for the team and believes that the talent is there to be a serious contender not only for the GSAC, but the Region as well. “I have very high expectations for this team,” he remarked. “It can win the Region if it wants to work for it.” After hosting its Invitational this past weekend, the Blues are home for games with Union (Dec. 14, 7 p.m.) and Ocean (Dec. 16, 1 p.m.). Brookdale will close the year out in Florida in a tournament at Polk Community College. The Blues’ next home game is not until Jan. 9 and it will be a big one, against preseason division pick Passaic, at 8 p.m. BY TIM MORRIS Staff Writer Brookdale picked to finish second in GSAC North Division last_img read more

Maybe fourth time’s charm

first_img“I think there’s always opposition to a bond, but we haven’t seen a tremendous amount yet,” Halperin said. “There are people out here who don’t believe in bonds. no matter what. But I’ve seen a much stronger belief that this bond is different, that it will work.” pat.aidem@dailynews.com (661) 257-5251160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! ACTON – Three times voters in Acton and Agua Dulce have rejected bond measures to upgrade their schools, particularly Vasquez High, which is made up entirely of portable buildings. Now the school board is asking voters again to tax themselves for the sake of local schools, Superintendent Stan Halperin said. Residents will vote in February on a bond measure that primarily will fund construction of a permanent high school campus to replace the mobile classrooms. “The reason I think this bond will work is that we’re really focusing on the children,” Halperin said. “We did a survey of the community – a scientific survey – it it came out better than 60 percent in favor of the plan.” The Acton-Agua Dulce Unified School District is aiming at a 25- to 30-year bond that would generate about $30 million and make the district eligible for other matching state money. Residents would pay $46 a year per $100,000 of the assessed valuation of their property. Translated, that amounts to $230 a year for a $500,000 home. The exact amount of the proposed bond will be determined after July 1 when assessed valuations are recalculated for the fiscal year. “We’re going to attempt to seek every avenue to provide additional dollars and stretch them as far as they’ll go,” Halperin said. “The architect is looking at the best and most reasonable construction cost that will fit in with the land.” The district, with about 600 students in kindergarten through grade 12, expects development in the area will require a high school with double the capacity of the current campus. Halperin said he is working with developers planning five projects of at least 80 homes apiece, including one that would bring 315 homes to the semi-rural area tucked between the Santa Clarita and Antelope valleys. Halperin has been with the district for nearly a year, landing in a financially troubled school system that lost continuous battles for public support. The district never got on solid footing after expanding to include high school a decade ago. He’s hoping a citizen committee can help shepherd the bond measure through. last_img read more

Just kidding

first_imgIT didn’t take long for Los Angeles’ Animal Services head, Ed Boks, to start acting like a true Angeleno politician – arrogant, elitist and showing contempt for the people he’s paid to serve. But he’s even taken the classic L.A. political schtick one step further by claiming he was going to educate the people by lying to them. That was Bok’s explanation for why he adopted a new policy cutting the hours that the city’s shelters would accept unwanted pets from 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to just a mere 14 hours, total, over a four- weekday period. After the predictable explosion from animal advocates, Boks backpedaled, concocting a hard-to-believe story that he never intended to enforce such a change. It was just a trick to teach the public a lesson. A more likely scenario is that Boks thought it would be a good idea to cut shelter hours as part of the effort to reduce the number of unwanted animals euthanized in the city. Perhaps, he reasoned, that if people couldn’t find a convenient time to dump Fluffy or Fido, their owners would resolve to keep the cat or dog. In a perfect world, maybe. But here in L.A. the city already had a problem with high numbers of abandoned animals dumped in the city’s parks, streets and even highways. Closing the shelters to people who are determined to get rid of Fluffy or Fido means many will find other, less humane ways of disposing of them. Boks has a difficult job managing the passionate, often-agitated animal advocates and a city department that deals in sadness and death. But that doesn’t excuse him from crafting dishonest public policy – which indeed is bound to make his job here even more difficult. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Will this defender start in midfield? Predicted Arsenal XI v Bayern Munich

first_img 3. Kieran Gibbs – to see the full line up, in squad number order, click the arrow above 11 18. Nacho Monreal 11 6. Laurent Koscielny 11 11 11 19. Santi Cazorla 11. Mesut Ozil 24. Hector Bellerin 5. Gabriel Paulista 11 11 Having suffered two shock defeats in the Champions League against Dinamo Zagreb and Olympiacos, the Gunners went into their clash with Bayern Munich at the end of the last month needing a win.The Gunners did just that at the Emirates Stadium – but they will need to do the same at the Allianz Arena.Since their victory over Pep Guardiola’s side, Arsene Wenger’s feelings may have been mixed, with Aaron Ramsey, Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain all suffering injuries.Selecting his team, therefore, will be no simple task for the Frenchman. Joel Campbell deputised in the absence of the above trio, scoring his first goal for the club in the win over Swansea City at the weekend.So, could the 23-year-old have earned a second successive start, or will Wenger opt for a more defensive route?Find out our predicted Arsenal line up by clicking the yellow arrow above, right. 33. Petr Cech 11 11 17. Alexis Sanchez 11 11 12. Olivier Giroud 34. Francis Coquelinlast_img read more

Spotlight on Donegal tourism at Royal Highland Show

first_imgNine Irish tourism companies – including Donegal Airport, Abbey Hotel, The Central Hotel and The Nesbitt Arms Hotel – have joined Tourism Ireland at the Royal Highland Show at Ingliston, near Edinburgh, this week.The Royal Highland Show is Scotland’s largest outdoor event, attracting around 190,000 visitors – or potential holidaymakers for Ireland – over four days, providing an excellent platform to showcase the superb experience on offer here for Scottish holidaymakers.Julie Wakley, Tourism Ireland’s Head of Great Britain, said: “Events like the Royal Highland Show provide us with a wonderful platform to spread the word about the many great experiences that Scottish holidaymakers can enjoy in Donegal and around Ireland. “Great Britain is an important market for Irish tourism. It delivers 47% of all overseas visitors and around 28% of all overseas tourism revenue. Tourism Ireland is undertaking an extensive programme of promotions throughout 2018, to highlight Ireland to British travellers.“We continue to monitor developments around Brexit closely, to better understand and plan for its implications on travel. Competitiveness and value for money are more important than ever this year, given currency fluctuations and the decline in the value of sterling.”James Maguire, Abbey and Central Hotels, Donegal; Pauline Sweeney, Donegal Airport; and Amy Riddell, Tourism Ireland, at the Royal Highland Show at Ingliston, near Edinburgh.Spotlight on Donegal tourism at Royal Highland Show was last modified: June 22nd, 2018 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Local teacher, coach arrested on suspicion of child molestation

first_imgCHATSWORTH — A former teacher at the private Sierra Canyon School was arrested this week on suspicion of child molestation, authorities said today. Thomas Edward Jukes, 32, of Canoga Park, was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of molesting at least one boy over a period of several years, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said. He was released after posting $100,000 bail. Jukes was a computer instructor at Sierra Canyon School, teaching children ages 12 and 13, and was also a Little League coach. Officials are searching for more potential victims, Eimiller said. The FBI began investigating Jukes in March, when a parent discovered her son, a student at Sierra Canyon, chatting with Jukes over in the Internet. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl event “The mother reported it,” Eimiller said. “On further investigation, we discovered that the suspect molested at least one individual.” Head of School Ann Gillinger refused to comment, but spokesman Martin Cooper said Jukes was fired in March because of the Internet chat. The school also sent a letter home to parents, advising them of the situation. “We’re not aware of any instance where he had improper physical contact with any Sierra Canyon student,” Cooper said. “The letter to parents reassures them that he’s been gone (from the school) and tells them that we continue to have a paramount interest in the safety and security of our kids.” Jukes could not be reached for comment. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

‘Tin man’ hits pay dirt in mining bid

first_img“We can’t speculate on what his plans are because we haven’t heard from him,” said MWD spokesman Bob Muir. “We have not heard from him in more than a month so this is certainly news to us.” Holmes, a 76-year-old retired theatrical producer, acknowledged an environmental impact report on the property must still be completed and permits issued by Riverside County before any mining can be done. Such a process generally takes at least two years. “But the geologists have told us that with something as important as this the permitting process doesn’t become a problem,” said Holmes, who spent 10 years raising $1 million for his drilling operations. Evers noted that some of the property is home to an endangered shrub and provides habitat for the kangaroo rat. But he believes that issue can be resolved by setting aside some of that land. He also noted there are no homes in the immediate area, which already contains two aggregate mining operations. Holmes’ father had grand dreams of creating a futuristic self-supporting community on the edge of the desert when he bought the property in 1918. He built 69 homes, planted 50,000 carob trees and constructed two dams, partly out of salvaged automobile frames, for what he envisioned as a system of five manmade lakes. His son can still point out the section of Lake Mathews where his family’s home stood before they were evicted when he was 6. The elder Holmes never gave up on using the remaining property, his son said, and was putting together plans to mine tin ore there when he died in 1950 at age 84. “I think he’d be delighted, I think he’d be ecstatic,” he said of the latest turn of events.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECalifornia’s bungled $1 billion accounting system The material, a key ingredient in making concrete and road-building materials, is in short supply throughout California. Holmes hopes it will finally provide a legacy for his father, an inventor who made a fortune with an early version of the rollaway bed, then lost it when he put his money into developing 3,000 acres of land the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California seized to build Lake Mathews. The lake, at the northern terminus of the Colorado River Aqueduct, supplies water to an estimated 18 million Californians. Lawrence Holmes retained just 63 acres near the lake through a 1937 settlement with the MWD that resolved what newspaper accounts of the time called the longest litigation battle in the state’s history. The MWD declined to comment on Jim Holmes’ latest plans for the property. Although his father’s dream of building a utopian community on the edge of California’s sprawling desert never materialized, Jim Holmes could end up supplying the raw materials to build other communities all over the state. Holmes, who became known as the tin man after he showed up on a hillside 70 miles east of Los Angeles last February and began drilling for tin ore, acknowledged Tuesday he still hasn’t found what he was looking for. “But we did hit something we didn’t even know we had, aggregate,” an excited Holmes said by phone from his Brentwood home. “According to our project manager, it is of enormous value.” So much so that nearly $25 million worth could be mined from just one section of the site every year for the next 20 years, estimates project manager Randall Evers. last_img read more

Barca in shock move for Arsenal star? Spurs to blame for Barkley’s Chelsea snub?

first_imgAfter a frantic deadline day, here’s the top transfer-related stories in Friday’s newspapers…Mesut Ozil could leave Arsenal despite the transfer window having closed in England. Spanish clubs have until late Friday night to sign players and Barcelona are reportedly eyeing a shock deal for the German midfielder. (COPE)Manchester City will attempt to sign Alexis Sanchez next year – after blaming Arsenal for the collapse of the Chilean star’s proposed £60million move to the Etihad. (Daily Mirror)Ross Barkley pulled the plug on a move to Chelsea after feeling he was being pressured into a move to Antonio Conte’s side by Everton. The midfielder had been eager to speak to Tottenham over a move but Everton refused to enter into negotiations with Spurs on deadline day. (Guardian)Ravel Morrison’s shock move to Mexico is complete. The fallen Manchester United starlet has been welcomed by Atlas FC in Guadalajara, Mexico’s third biggest city, after a deal was done with Lazio. (Daily Mirror)Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud turned down a summer switch to Everton fell because his partner vetoed the move. (Daily Star)Bournemouth rejected a shock £15million offer from Wolves to sign their former player Benik Afobe. (The Sun)Here are the latest talkSPORT.com headlines…Transfer news: Alexis Sanchez misses out on move to Manchester City after Arsenal fail to land Thomas LemarChelsea FC transfer news: Ross Barkley changed his mind over Blues transfer following his medical, confirms Farhad MoshiriTottenham Hotspur FC transfer news: Spurs confirm Fernando Llorente signingChelsea FC transfer news: Danny Drinkwater completes last-gasp deadline day switch from Leicester CityOFFICIAL! Kylian Mbappe joins Paris Saint-Germain from MonacoCrystal Palace FC transfer news: Mamadou Sakho completes £26million move from LiverpoolSwansea City re-sign Wilfried Bony from Manchester CityChelsea FC transfer news: Blues confirm Davide Zappacosta dealCONFIRMED: Liverpool complete £40million signing of Arsenal midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlainlast_img read more

Sportsday Podcast on talkSPORT 2: February 22, 2018

first_imgThis Thursday morning on Sportsday we bring you your essential round-up of the morning’s top sports stories.last_img