L.A. car show tries to steal Detroit’s thunder

first_imgGeneral Motors Corp. Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner will give the keynote address Wednesday and is expected to outline a new emphasis on environmentally friendly technologies at GM. The automaker will unveil hybrid versions of the Saturn Aura and GMC Yukon. Golf superstar and Buick pitchman Tiger Woods also will be on hand for the unveiling of the new Enclave crossover. Ford Motor Co. will show off its next-generation Escape and Escape Hybrid. DaimlerChrysler AG’s Chrysler Group will debut its new Sebring convertible. Nissan Motor Co. will unveil a sporty SER version of the Sentra small car and another vehicle that it has only described as a “performance-oriented” model. That vehicle has been added to the production pipeline to expand Nissan’s range in the United States. The automaker struggled in the United States earlier this year because of a lull in new product introductions but is gaining traction with the launch of the Sentra and Altima cars. Nissan also plans to unveil the Rogue, a compact crossover, in Detroit in January, but it will give the media a brief glimpse of the car in Los Angeles on Wednesday. Honda Motor Co. will unveil a trio of design concept vehicles. L.A. organizers are striving to give their show a global focus. “This is more of a movement to get them away from a U.S.-focused auto show toward one that could be more of an international show,” CSM’s Robinet said. “Why should Detroit get all the glory?” If it’s successful in its new time slot, the L.A. show could lure some products from Detroit, but the Detroit show is massive enough to survive any damage L.A. could do, he said. Organizers on the West Coast have changed dates before. A decade ago, the L.A. event was moved from after the Detroit show to just ahead of it. The change this year to early December puts a month between the two shows. No matter when the show is held, L.A. organizers still must contend with a less-than-stellar facility in the L.A. Convention Center that requires that the show be split into three sections. And even with a record number of debuts, the L.A. show doesn’t come close to the scope of Detroit’s. The auto industry will unveil 35 new vehicles in L.A. – up from 28 last year, but well below the 60 introductions in Detroit in January. LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW Dates: Dec. 1-10 Where: Los Angeles Convention Center, 1201 S. Figueroa St. Cost: $10 for adults, $7 seniors, children 12 and younger free with an adult; parking: $10-$30. For information and tickets: Call (213) 741-1151, Ext. 1, or visit www.LAautoshow.com. Overview: More than 1,000 new vehicles from 47 manufacturers. The unveilings include 21 world debuts, 17 North American debuts and seven new concept cars.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESurfer attacked by shark near Channel Islands calls rescue a ‘Christmas miracle’“Detroit is so much bigger,” said Michael Robinet, vice president of CSM Worldwide, an automotive forecasting firm in Farmington Hills, Mich. Still, the new dates for the L.A. show represent a major change on the U.S. auto show circuit, resulting in more media attention, bigger marketing investments by participating automakers and, organizers hope, a boost in stature for the show serving the nation’s No. 1 auto market. The show also is now designated an international show. The Los Angeles Auto Show, the smallest of the four major North American shows, has long been in the shadow of Detroit’s 14-day January extravaganza. “Automakers are going to do what’s in their best interest, and they’ve been saying, `If you move your dates, we will do more things with your show,”‘ said L.A. Auto Show spokesman Barry Toepke. The show has already had some early success in pulling in big names and big debuts. Los Angeles is out to steal some of Detroit’s automotive clout. When organizers of the Los Angeles Auto Show moved the event’s starting date to next week from its usual timing just days ahead of the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January, they hoped to grab some high-profile vehicle debuts and media attention that might otherwise have come to the Motor City. Los Angeles, home to a plethora of automobile design studios and one of the world’s top markets for luxury vehicles, has traditionally been a showcase for import automakers, hot designs and green technologies, but competed with Detroit for the biggest, must-see vehicle debuts. Even with the L.A. show snagging its most first-time offerings from carmakers, however, organizers of the Detroit show and auto industry watchers are confident Motown will remain at the top for automakers. last_img

Former Swansea striker scares ball boy with trademark goal celebration

first_img Bafetimbi Gomis won the Super Lig with Galatasaray last season huge blow Bafetimbi Gomis is out there scaring kids with his panther celebration 😂 pic.twitter.com/EcJ3eBIYbR— Juan Velazquez (@JuanDirection58) February 22, 2019 And Gomis celebrated in trademark style by getting on his hands and knees and clawing like a cat.But his celebration was too much for the ball boy, who left his seat and ran off in fear. RANKED Berahino hits back at b******t Johnson criticism – ‘I was in a dark place at Stoke’ Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? no dice shining Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions REVEALED Gomis’ celebration was on show during his three-year spell at Swansea, where he scored 17 goals in 71 appearances.The Frenchman showed his class, though, by finding the young boy and handing him his shirt as an apology.Gomis helped Galatasaray win the Super Lig last season before moving to Al-Hilal ahead of the 2018/19 campaign. MONEY Ronaldo warned Lukaku how hard scoring goals in Serie A would be before Inter move REVEALED BEST OF Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury ADVICE Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars REPLY Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won 1 A ball boy ran away in fear after watching former Swansea striker Bafetimbi Gomis’ goal celebration on Thursday night.The 33-year-old scored Saudi Arabian club Al-Hilal’s opener in a 2-0 win over Al Ittihad. Forbes list reveals how much Mayweather, Ronaldo and Messi earned this decade last_img read more

Team profile: SL bank on parting Sangakkara, Jayawardene at World Cup

first_imgSri Lankan batting stalwarts Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene are eyeing the perfect finish to their illustrious 50-over careers by winning the World Cup next month after two near misses.While right-handed Jayawardene will quit all forms of the game after the February 14-March 29 event, the left-handed Sangakkara may yet continue to play Test cricket.Their retirement, though, could be seen as a good omen.When the duo, the leading active run-scorers in 50-over cricket, announced their intention to quit the shortest format of the game prior to the 2014 Twenty20 World Cup, Sri Lanka went on to win the tournament in Bangladesh.The island nation, who won the 1996 50-over World Cup and finished runners-up at the last two editions, will hope lightning strikes twice.”We may not have won those two tournaments, but reaching two successive finals showed we played consistently well,” Jayawardene, who has amassed over 12,500 runs in ODIs, said.”Hopefully we can cross the line this time.”Sangakkara is the highest run-getter for Sri Lanka in the format with 13,693 runs and will hope to continue his prolific form at the showpiece event. While the duo, along with captain and allrounder Angelo Mathews, will lead a strong batting attack, Sri Lanka’s bowling has looked weak in recent matches.The fitness of pace spearhead Lasith Malinga has been a huge headache and the availability of the mercurial fast bowler is crucial to Sri Lanka’s prospects in Australia and New Zealand, where they have been drawn in Pool A alongside the two co-hosts, England, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Scotland.advertisementSri Lanka lost a seven-match series 4-2 in New Zealand last month after their bowlers allowed the hosts to recover from precarious positions on more than one occasion.Chief selector Sanath Jayasuriya expressed his displeasure with the performance of the bowling attack while praying for the return to full fitness of the 31-year-old Malinga.”The bowling department is an area of concern. They need to plan for things they should do when it comes to a crunch situation,” the former opening batsman said.”We lack experience in our bowling at the moment in the absence of Lasith Malinga which is huge. (Nuwan) Kulasekera and (Suranga) Lakmal have come back from injuries and are bowling alright.”Lasith has shown no signs of discomfort and he will be increasing his workload gradually. I think he will be alright for the World Cup.”last_img read more